Monday, January 9, 2012

It's a Numbers Thing

In my "former life" I was a math teacher.  I always liked numbers.  Math just made sense to me.  It was clear, precise, predictable (not like those vague English rules that changed depending on the situation)!


I guess it's no surprise that I love the look of numbered furniture.  I've done several different looks in the past year.  Here are a few of my favorites!  I started with this simple black stool and decided to number it!


This plain white stool was just screaming for attention.  Number 2 seemed to be the perfect fit!  I printed out the number from my printer, used carbon paper to trace it, then filled in with black acrylic craft paint.  Super simple!






Next up was this tall industrial stool.  Since I'd already done #1 and #2, it only made sense that this one should be No. 3!  



My husband found this cute little table in the alley.  It was covered in tacky vinyl.  But the legs were good so I decided to take a look. Once I pulled out all the staples holding the vinyl on, I found this great piece of plywood.  Now this has potential!  



Ok, so I went a little number crazy.  (sorry for the crumby picture).    A friend of mine bought it for her children's table for Christmas!


 This is without a doubt my favorite, though!  I found this ugly chest on Craig's List.  Wish I had taken "before" pictures, but trust me!  It was ugly.  Big 1970's brass hardware and someone had glued square parquet flooring on the top.  But I knew the moment I saw it that I wanted to number the drawers!  





New library hardware made it MUCH better! But what to do about the top?  Amazingly, the parquet wood popped right off.  After sanding the residual glue smooth, I snatched up a bundle of old wooden yardsticks from ebay and they were PERFECT for the top!



Ahhh... number love!!


Needless to say, none of these lasted long in the shop.  All the numbers are gone.  Hmmm.... gotta find a new number project!

I linked up!



Projet Queen
Elizabeth & Co




Furniture Feature Fridays

20 comments:

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

In my "former life" I was a preschool teacher. We didn't have to teacher too much math. But I still have a thing for numbers too - just love them on everything! And that chest is just amazing!!!

Sarah said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog- now I can follow yours! Your number projects are just DARLING. So loving that card catalog you re-did and the yard sticks on top is pure genius. Gonna have to remember that idea!

Audrey said...

Love numbers too. Must remember the yard sticks on the cabinet top and start collecting yard sticks. Have a cabinet just asking for this treatment. I also love clocks and did clock numbers on a bench drawer. You can ceck it out at http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/2011/12/its-all-in-numberschalk-painted-benches.html
I will be a new follower for you.
Hope you will visit Timeless Treasures. Audrey Z.

Debbiedoos said...

looking good. I love all these projects.!

Jennʻs Adventureʻs said...

I am loving ALL these pictures!! I would love to have a craft room in my house with some of these pieces -- love, love, loveee!!

Miss B.e.e. said...

I LOVE your cabinet! Genius using the yardsticks and library handles:) Thanks so much for commenting on my blog and letting me know you're out there. Your work is beautiful!

Twice Nice said...

Love your numbers everywhere! I'm a former school speech therapist though so I loved the "language" stuff! Looks like you have some terrific stuff. I'll follow along and watch your blog grow. Deb

Mandy said...

Hi Cindy, thanks so much for stopping by Project Queen today and linking up your #3 Chair! I love it!

My daughter is a math teacher, so I totally understand the #'s thing :-).

Welcome to the blog world. I'm new myself.

I'm your newest follower!

Mandy

Kammy's Korner said...

Love your number projects!!! I also love the style of your "2" and "3" on the stools. Great job! (I love numbered furniture too, however, Math and I are arch enemies!!! haha)

Tanya said...

I love all of your number projects. The yardsticks on top of the dresser was pure genius! I'm a new follower too!

Eclectically Vintage said...

Love the numbers - I have a tall industrial stool I may try it on!

Would love you to link up to our multi blog link party Imagine the Impossibilities Challenge on Jan 31
http://www.eclecticallyvintage.com/4/post/2012/01/imagine-the-impossibilities-challenge.html

I am finding the deadline to be just the motivation I need to complete my "impossible" - organizing my basement - scary!

Hope to see you there and feel free to share our button and challenge with your readers!

Kelly

Linda said...

love all of these pieces but especially the ruler top dresser. I'll have to look on Ebay for a score of rulers. I popped over from the Project Queen and am your newest follower. Hope you have a chance to visit me.

Anonymous said...

This is adorable! I love the whole series of numbers! Maybe you should start numbering again, but maybe higher now? Like in the 100s. Seems like selling all that stuff means you went from 1st grade to at least 2nd grade... :)

Beth @Under A Pile of Scrap! said...

These are awesome looking! I don't know which one I like the best, but the library hardware, the rulers and the numbers on that chest are winning me over!

Unknown said...

Love your numbered furniture!!Following you from miss mutard seed-stop by for a visit!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Thanks so much for linking this up. You know I love all your number projects! And look at you with all those buttons! You are learning fast!

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

I don't have any numbered furniture in my home and now I think I need some! LOL! Looks great. I am a new follower visiting from Project Queen. Vicky from Mess For Less

Mandy said...

Hi Cyndi, I'm featuring your yardstick chest tonight at Project Queen. Thank you so much for linking it up. I love it!

Mandy

Kelly said...

Oh my, my, my!! I LOVE your numbered stools and everything else you did. That little table with the numbers all over it DOES make the most adorable kids table ever! Everything sold because you did such a tasteful job on all of them. Thanks for all the great inspiration!

Katie @ sweetgirlexpressions said...

I love,love,love this!!! I actually have a stack of old yardsticks.....but I haven't found that perfect project for them yet......
btw- Im now following you, if you have time stop by & visit me :) ~ Katie

http://sweetgirlexpressions.blogspot.com