Friday, January 13, 2012

Getting a Little Wordy


I certainly have a "thing" for numbers, but words can be art, too!  This chair has the definition for chair on the seat.









Just finished this awesome lamp.  I saw it at Target and knew the shade was screaming for vocabulary!  I went to wordle.net, entered the list of words I wanted, and it created this arrangement.


I printed out the wordle, taped it on the inside of the shade, turned the light on, and traced the design with a Sharpie.  Turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself!  This one may not make it to the shop!



Subway art has been big, but I didn't want to pay big bucks for one. "Why not make one yourself?" I said to myself!

So I bought a canvas and three sizes of letter stickers. First, I painted the canvas in a watered-down mustard-colored acrylic paint so it had a water-colored effect - not really yellow, but not solid white either.  When it was dry, I drew straight lines to guide the letters and used a pair of tweezers to help place the stickers. Once the stickers were stuck good, I spray painted the whole thing black. The best part was peeling off the stickers!  I like it better than the store bought signs!


Sometimes a piece just speaks to you!

Linking up:
Too Much Time on My Hands


Furniture Feature FridaysMade in a Day
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special































19 comments:

Beth @Under A Pile of Scrap! said...

LOVE the chair! Just love it! I'm a new follower now.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh wow, love them all! Seriously, I need that lamp! I'm a fan of numbers and words too!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

great projects! I love numbers and words! Love the shade.
gail

Kim~madeinaday said...

Thanks for the Ottoman love! I am following you! Love the 9 drawer dresser! Come by and linkup to my made U look linky going on now!
Kim @madeinaday
http://madeinaday.com

Brooke @ Spruce Your Nest said...

Great projects! I love the lamp!! I am following you right back ;-)

Unknown said...

All of these projects are fantastic - but I'm really in love with the lamp! It's great!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Absolutely love wordy projects- these are darling! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!:)

Twice Nice said...

Wow! You have been busy! Love all the "wordy" things, and I love, love EVERY piece from the post before that too! You are a wonder, and I can't wait to see what you come up with next. Deb

Roxanne said...

Way to go Cyndi!!! You have such an awesome sense of style! Congrats on hour new blog. Your off to a great start!

Unknown said...

Very awesome, can you link this project up to SaMiE's first ever SURPRISE linky party? I'd love to share it with my followers! Here's the link http://samiedesigns.blogspot.com/p/samies-surprise-linky-parties.html

Kim @ Too Much Time said...

SO creative! I am such a reader and "word" nut. That chair is too cute-and the lamp is super creative! If you have a sec come link up-my party is open till Monday night
http://kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com/2012/01/get-schooled-saturday-6-and-e-book.html

Toodie said...

I'm a word nut too and I LOVE these projects! Gotta pin these for future reference. You have a new follower!

Kammy's Korner said...

too cool!!!! The lamp is my FAVE!

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Wow! You've been busy! Great typography! Love the clever solutions you provided. Thanks for linking up to the 1st Project of the Year Party!

Kim~madeinaday said...

Hi Cyndi, Just stopping by to let you know I featured your lamp for this weeks linky party!! Love it you make it look so easy!! Love that chair too!! This weeks party is up and running and I would love it if you would link something up again!
Km@madeinaday
http://madeinaday.com

jacky @ small home love said...

I love both projects, and wordle is too cool. Oh the possibilities! That would look great on my bedroom lamps. Thanks for sharing!

Charlotte Wilson said...

I love your projects and appreciate your sharing how you did them!

♥charlotte

Anonymous said...

You are so creative! I like what you did with each of these pieces. I would love to try a subway art too of all the places we have lived. I'll have to add it to my ever growing list now that I have seen yours. God bless x

fiona anderson said...

So THAT'S how you did it, using the lamp like a light box - clever.
Love the other pieces too - I need to find me some alphabet stickers !