Thursday, April 25, 2013

It Took Three Times to Slay the Demon Buffet

I spend part of my day dealing with defiant children.  Not my favorite part of the job but it's necessary.  That's why I love to paint furniture on the weekends.  It's my therapy.  Until I met this buffet.  



She had beautiful lines and was in pretty good shape.
I started by stripping and refinishing the top.
Then I taped it off to protect it while I worked on the base.

I thought I'd try the verdigris technique that I'd see at 
So I started by spray painting the base in copper.

I decided to use Annie Sloan Florence and Provence.  First I smudged on some Florence.

Then I followed by smudging on some Provence.

Can you say "camo?"

But I thought it might improve once I did a wash of white over it all.

Maybe not.

Well that was a disappointing attempt.
Why did this buffet have to be so obstinate?

Ok, on to plan B.
I covered most of the gaps and Provence with more Florence.

Hmmm, guess that's a little better.
I remembered that I had purchased some copper pigment that you could add to wax.  This could be cool with those copper highlights in the crevasses!
So I blended in the pigment into some clear wax and applied it as the vendor had instructed.

Um, NO!
It looked like mud!

So I tried to tone it down by wiping it down with some mineral spirits.

Still gross!
Her defiance was bordering on rebellion!

So I resorted to a proven technique.

I repainted the entire thing in Florence.

Much better!

I distressed her to show some of the copper underneath and gave her a coat of clear wax and dark wax.

Then I tackled the hardware.
I spray painted the pulls in copper and then dry brushed some Florence in spots to make it look like the hardware had verdigris.  This girl was going to wear verdigris if it killed me!

  
So it's not the best picture.  It was dark when I took these.  She just wasn't going down without a fight!


But she's in the shop now.
The secret to wrangling unruly children is persistence.
Same goes for demon furniture!

PS.  I went today and got some better pictures.


I've also had several comments about painting such a beautiful piece of furniture.  While I agree that it has beautiful characteristics, the "before" pictures don't show the damage.  She had missing trim, large chunks of wood missing, and it looked like a dog had chewed the edge of a door.  Painting her was a way to give her new life in spite of her abuse.

Pin It



Furniture Feature FridaysThe Shabby NestMy Repurposed Life LIFE WE LIVE 4 Photobucket/a>Funky_Junk's_Party_Junk_link_partyThe Fun In Functional link party @ Practically FunctionalThree Mango Seeds {Primp}PhotobucketBrag About It | Linky Party | No. 1Centerpiece Wednesdays Button

17 comments:

Susan @ SunflowerHugs said...

I hate when projects don't turn out like I envision! But in the end it came out really nice. I especially like the hardware.

Jeannie and Linda said...

Was this as old and gorgeous as it looks in the before picture? Loved it before, but the color really makes it current.
Jeannie

Nonna's loves......... said...

What a shame that you ruined such a beautiful piece of furniture. I'm not one to comment on these makeovers but just had too this time.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh my gosh this post cracked me up Cyndi, mainly because we've all been there! But your persistence paid off beautifully - what a beauty!

Cher-Ann Texter said...

Beautiful! I've worked on many "demon projects" myself and this one came out fantastic! Stopping by from My Repurposed Life's Catch as Catch Can 119...

Cher @ Designs by Studio C
http://designsbystudioc.com

Cynthia said...

So frustrating! I do really like the end product, though. A couple of my projects lately have been giving me the same trouble.

Bliss said...

Fun and funky, why not paint it? I would of admired it in the before state, but really, I wouldn't of bought it. Now I'd have to look twice.

Bliss

Designed Decor said...

Very pretty re-do! Sometimes it takes a few times before finding the best look. I love it! Thanks for linking up to Talkin’ About Thursday link party. I hope you will come back this week too!

The Style Sisters said...

Wow you slayed that demon...she looks beautiful, come link up to centerpiece Wednesday on my blog and share your post with us. http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2013/04/centerpiece-wednesday.html
Karin

Stampin' VMG206 said...

Thank you for sharing the good, the bad and the ugly! LOL! I've had a few "failed" projects in the past few weeks, too. But, being impatient -I just gave up! This took some time but the end result is wonderful!
I'm visiting you today from Winthrop Chronicles. I'm co-hosting a Linky Party (opened Tuesday) and would LOVE for you to add this. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog, leave a comment and Link Up, too!
~ Megin of VMG206
Tile Photo Coasters ~ Gift Idea

Good Time Charlie said...

I love how you tell like it was!! We have all been there! The end result is just gorgeous!

My Repurposed Life said...

ohhh cyndi.... so happy you didn't give up! she's beautiful! way to go, catching you!
gail

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking up with us at the BeBetsy Tuesday BRAG ABOUT IT! You do such amazing work and great site. Sharon

Art and Sand said...

I don't know if I would have the stamina to keep up with the demon. It looks beautiful.

Atta Girl Amy said...

Gorgeous. I've wrestled my own (furniture) demons and they are evil indeed. But the exorcism you performed Turned the deon into an angel.

Anonymous said...

Final product looks great! Might I recommend gilding paste instead of spray painting. I have used copper from Baroque Art on drawer pulls; it's great looking stuff that you can put on with your finger

Natalia Blanco said...

Great tutorial directory for furniture and boxes. Thank you.