Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Stencil Love

Let's try this again.  I just wrote this post and when I tried to correct a misspelled word (shocking, I know!) I lost the whole thing!  ARG!


My favorite kind of upholstery job is a quick one.  I found this stool at an antique mall on sale half off, thank you very much! It was crying out for help!



Do you see the potential?

I started by painting the legs in ASCP Old White.  I distressed it and decided to try out a new wax - Howard's.  I really loved the way it went on and how silky it felt once applied!  I topped it with a coat of dark wax (Fiddes).

I turned out great, with a brownish tone so I decided to go with a brown stenciled design.

I bought some onisberg fabric and taped off some lines.  I wanted to give it a grain sack look.

Then I designed and cut the stencil using my Silhouette.  I stenciled it using brown acrylic paint.

I'm kinda liking the way it turned out!

Now the simple part - stretch over the cushion and staple in place.  I added some brown cord piping to polish the look.



Who are you and what have you done with the ugly stool?


Pin It

Linking up to my favorite parties:
HOG
The DIY Dreamershabby creek cottageHookinupwithHoHnew2.pngThe 36th AVENUEPhotobucketFurniture Feature FridaysWhipperberryThe Shabby Nest
Funky Junk's Sat Nite Specialhttp://www.findingfabulousblog.com/It's OVerflowingUnveil Your Genius Link Party
The Southern Institute

27 comments:

Amy Fountain said...

Great upholstering job. Love the stenciling design you picked!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love it, Cyndi! Those shapely little legs look so much better in the white and I love the fabric you did. Osnaberg is a favorite of mine to have on hand, too.

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

Love it....so funny it looks so similar to one I just did....din't blog about it but put it in my Etsy shop and sold it within a week. Great minds think alike :)

Cassie Bustamante said...

that looks fabulous! love the stripes and stencil!

Janis@All Things Beautiful said...

So very cute! Love the stencil you chose!! The red stripes look great! I'm so wanting a Silhouette!!!!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh my gosh, that's so cute Cyndi! It looks nothing like the original and that's a good thing!

Cindy The Victorian Journey said...

Love your re make of the stool. So nice.

Joselyn @ The DIY Spot said...

Cute! Love it. Reminds me of one I made over with ASCP white and a flannel shirt.

Kathryn said...

This is so adorable!! I have been looking for a stool like this to re-upholster, but can't find one anywhere! Pinning! :)

Jen said...

This is so cute! Love the pop of red!

The Little Red Shop said...

Sweet transformation!!

: )

Julie M.

ps I stopped by via Miss Mustard Seed's party.

The Prudent Homemaker said...

This is really pretty!

Christine said...

OMG!! OMG!!! FABULOUS!!!!!! Honestly... it's fantastic!!!

Thanks so much for sharing at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

Anonymous said...

This is amazing! What a transformation! I love it!

Barbwire Pretty said...

Beautiful stool I love the simple look that you have achieved.
Bernice

MONICA LIVAS said...

Very nice! I'm your newest follower.

Monica.

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

These turned out SO nice! Thanks so much for sharing with us this week! Have a wonderful weekend!

Take care,

Trish

Unknown said...

Totally Perfect!!! I'd love to have you share at my party...it JUST opened!!!

http://www.itsoverflowing.com/2012/04/overflowing-with-creativity-19.html

XO, Aimee

Amber said...

Cyndi,
This is so pretty...great job!
I can't believe everything you do, you are very talented {in your spare time} but owning a shop and running a school? You amaze me!
I hope you are getting some rest this weekend, ;)
amber

Taylor @ Pink Heels Pink Truck said...

I love how this turned out! The stencil is so cute! I would love for you to share this with my "Unveil Your Genius" link party.
http://taylornorris.blogspot.com/2012/04/unveil-your-genius-link-party-8.html

Happy Sunday!

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Stopping by from Nifty Thrifty. I know what mean when you are just about done with a post, something goes ??? and then it's gone -UGH! This has happened to me several times, so now I save, save save. I love your restyled little footstool. I like the grain sack look with strips on left and the stencil in the middle. I shy away from stenciling, don't know why, because I like it so much. Love Annie Sloan Old white and have done all my trim with it. The look is simple and elegant. A very pretty look! My fingers are crossed that you'll come on over at post this at Sunday's Best Party tonight, sure hops so!(www.my1929charmer.com).

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Forgot to say how I like you blog - now following with Linky!

Mary @ Sea Quilts said...

Fabulous job!! Start to finish.

Thanks ~
Mary

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

You did a great job on your stool Cyndi... I love the addition of the cord (piping)
gail

cathy@my1929charmer said...

So happy you shared your beautiful share with us. Love it! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

It's just darling~ thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

Ann said...

I am so going to copy this! I featured you at Restyled Sundays. Thanks so much for sharing.